To secure the establishment and development of Uphill Junior School, a privately owned Primary School with Kindergarten in rural western Uganda.
With financial help from The Uphill Trust, the Uphill Junior School Management Committee is able to maintain a staff of motivated and well-qualified teachers and permanent school buildings are under development.
The Uphill Trust is a ZERO OVERHEADS CHARITY that makes no deductions for administration, governance or trustee visits to Uganda. All the money raised is used to support projects at the school.
- To support the school as it works towards it’s stated aims, including actively supporting the education of both girls and boys, orphans and children affected by extreme poverty and HIV/AIDS. Uphill Junior School has a roughly equal gender mix across all the year groups and around one quarter of the pupils are being charged no fees at all or reduced fees. The trust is currently providing full financial support for a number of children from particularly difficult family circumstances.
- To construct ten permanent classrooms, in three blocks, on land purchased for the school. Five adjacent plots of land have been purchased (2015-8) and three blocks of permanent classrooms have now been built (2016-2019. The three kindergarten year groups are still being taught in temporary wooden classrooms.
- To provide good Ugandan-style sanitation arrangements with private washing facilities for the older girls. Five latrine stances with washing areas were built in 2015/6 along with two separate latrine stances for teachers in 2017. Another second five stance latrine block with wash room was built in 2019.
- To provide clean water for drinking, hand washing and cooking by installing rain water harvesting tanks and guttering on all the permanent buildings. Seven large two medium and one small tank with gutters have already been installed (2016-9) (current rain water storage capacity is 79,000L). Ceramic water filter units are also being supplied for the classrooms.
- To construct a good quality playground for the Kindergarten. A tyre playground was installed outside the temporary classrooms in 2017 and upgraded in 2018/19.
- To construct an administration building for the school. Construction began at the end of December 2017 and the building was in use by June 2018. This is a multipurpose building with a large staff room/school library, two secure offices and a room for the school nurse.
- To continue to support the day-to-day running of the school, for up to 10 years, whilst it develops self-financing arrangements. The Uphill Trust pays the salaries for 13 teachers plus those of the school bursar, director and nurse.
- To support projects that benefit the wider community, when funding is available. The trust has provided mosquito nets and solar lanterns for pupils, along with reading glasses for community elders (2016-8). Early in 2018 the trust facilitated the complete refurbishment of the existing shallow well used by everyone in the community.